By Mike Forrest, Owner/CEO at Archmore Business Web
Your website acts as a marketing tool for you 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It is seen by hundreds or thousands of people each month. A small defect or a compelling advantage will be seen by all those visitors.
A small advantage gets multiplied by all those viewing your website. Let’s say you have 500 website visitors each month (not out of the question) and you implement a change that gets just 1% more of them to call you. Over a years’ time this is 60 more prospect calls.
The reverse is also true. If due to the construction of your website some people drop off early let’s say–1%; then you get 60 fewer phone calls each year!
It is worth a few hours of your time to at least get the big stuff right.
- Easy Navigation: Your website needs to be easy to navigate – Viewers should be able to find what they are looking for. If you have a small 5 – 10 page website it is not hard to accomplish this but as your website grows it is more difficult to make the navigation intuitive. You should be aware of the top things visitors of your website want to find out and you need to make these things very easy to locate.
Different techniques can be employed but they will depend on the details of our business and the website. Here are some techniques we use depending on the client:
- Search box function – this technology will search your entire site for the string that was entered by the user and then make a list of the pages where the information could be found. Best for eCommerc site or company offering many services.
- Main navigation listing more than one or two words. Even images can be embedded in the navigation. This is the menu usually at the top of the website.
- Main navigation has pop ups if the mouse is hovered over one tab. The pop-up could be a whole list of related links.
- You can use multiple navigation menus so that the most common items are listed on tabs across the top while special things to your industry could be in a vertical list of options that stays even when different pages are visited.
- Most of all a sensible grouping of the areas of your website. Don’t mix services with terms of sale.